Thursday, December 29, 2011

Honey Badger


I love my friend Kristin's recent posting on Facebook: Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles -- NEVER question my commitment.

One of my commitments in life is to do as much as I can for myself and not rely on other people to do things for me. Do I ask for help? Certainly, but only after contemplating my options and thinking about a course of action to solving my dilemma or scoping out a situation.

So when someone recently asked me a question -- through an email sent through a phone (infer: tech savvy) -- that could be answered by a two-second Google search, it took everything within my power to not be a Honey Badger.

I wanted to reply: "You are a professional with college degrees asking me a question through email on your phone... can you not figure this out on your own? What is wrong with you?"

Honestly, people: Do the legwork yourself. You have to invest the time to reap the reward. You cannot truly appreciate things if they are given to you without some blood, sweat or tears. OK, maybe that's a little dramatic. But you have to at least invest the two seconds of time and then do a little research.

Speaking of blood, sweat, and tears makes me think of the person who wants to be a "marathoner" but doesn't want to run four days a week, who doesn't want to run a few 20 milers, who simply doesn't want to train yet still wants to put a 26.2-mile sticker on the car after walking a marathon.

Please.

You should've been in pain a few times during training. You should've sweated so much over 16 weeks that feral cats ran away. You should've worn through two pairs of shoes before earning the right to cry at the finish because you left all you had on the course physically and emotionally because you sacrificed time away from the comforts of the couch. But you didn't.

One of my favorite mantras is: "If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail." And so if you are too too lazy and you fail again? Well, Honey Badger don't give a crap because Honey Badger told you so.

1 comment:

Kevin Reaman said...

You are a stern parent. confidant. And teacher. you make me happy. i love you Denise