Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Confidence

Me: "What's up with white shorts these days? They're all see-through. I had to buy nude thongs. Who wears nude thongs?"

Her: "I totally agree. But I can never wear white shorts again. Having an ass tattoo has become the bane of my fashion existence."

~~~~~

Confidence should never be underrated, especially when you have the confidence to simply be yourself, no matter what everyone else thinks.

I recall a time, many years ago in a former era of my existence, when I owned a bicycle with a baby seat on the back. Annie had long outgrown it, and I simply didn't feel the need to remove it. Why? Who knows.

But I realized that Max, my loyal West Highland Terrier, could fit in the seat rather comfortably. All I had to do was say, "Sit." He'd sit and then I'd pull the harness over his soft-coated chest and strap him in. (This was sans helmet, of course, but I don't think it's reason enough to notify PETA.) So several times a week, we'd head out for a few miles. He seemed to love it.

Yes, it was quite the sight. Yes, I was the sole person riding around town with a dog on my bike. Yes, I got a lot of looks.

And, I'd hear later, comments from the neighbors--but never to my face. But it didn't matter. It was me.

My friends know that I can never boast about being the most mature person, nor the smartest. I've made many foolish mistakes in my life, some that brought on a lot of pain to myself and to others.

But in it all, I don't think I've strayed far in the quest to be myself, to do what makes sense to me.

For example, take this guy that I videotaped at Downtown Disney:



A street band was performing some Latin American number, and this fellow just felt the tunes. He danced for about 5 minutes, prompting people to stop and watch. Granted, his eclectic nature could easily captivate one's eye. Heck, the outfit alone attracted fireflies.

But then throw in the shaking hips with his the bow-legged bossa nova and you were hooked.

A few Southern boys behind me chortled, commented on "what a weirdo" the dancer was. I turned, looked at their protruding bellies and triple chins and responded: "Well, at least dancing keeps him in shape and he's not afraid to have fun."

They shrugged. I don't think they'll ever get it.

Sometimes we do things that define us, no matter what others may think. We face the criticism, the questioning, the stares, the eye rolls. But it takes confidence to stay on the course of remaining steadfast on our journey.

Even if it means getting an ass tattoo and giving up the right to wear see-through white shorts.

No comments: