Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Friendship


This weekend I finally conquered one of my three goals: to break 24 minutes in a 5k. I did it in 23:58 while still fighting off ear infections, sinus issues, and congestion. But the best part about it was sharing the moment with my friends.

I feel so fortunate to have people around me who truly care about me feeling successful in my goals. Unfortunately, some of them only talk the talk. Their words are merely words. They are not genuine.

No one came to see me race, but I can handle that. I've done numerous races on my own, including triathlons. But when i realized that I beat my PR by 50 seconds, I felt hollow for several minutes. I wandered around a bit, went for a run, and then finally I reconnected with Christine who was with her family. And then I stumbled into Chris, and then I stumbled into Rob. And their kind words validated my first-place finish in my age group (as well as all women ages 35 to death. Of course, the young chicks ran faster, Christine included).

Thus, I felt extremely thankful that I have friends who are true, who don't look for excuses, who don't quit me.

No comments: