Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Papa


"There are some things that cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. . ." Ernest Hemingway.

All too often, I think I know something. And then I realize that I was sadly mistaken, mislead by my own blindness, my own hubris in feeling confident that things will go as planned. I am not certain of many things right now.

Pay heavily, I fear I shall.

For, I am not as strong as Catherine in A Farewell to Arms, but I do know that when I believe in something, I support it with all that I have. Perhaps this is what I need to do. And that is to believe in myself. Thus, I shall attempt to think more like Hemingway as in his approach to writing.

"Use short sentences. Use short first paragraphs. Use vigorous English. Be positive, not negative."

No comments: