Sunday, January 15, 2012

Jan. 15


Today marks the birthday of my nephew, who is a wonderful young man. And I think of happy I am for him, hoping he thrives successfully throughout a long life.

But the date also marks the anniversary of Tyler's death. It reminds me of how fragile we are, how some people can live a near eternity and abuse this privilege called life. They are bitter, selfish, egocentric. Or they take advantage of their families, their friends, their opportunities.

And then there's Tyler, who truly made his mark in such a short time as truly giving, spontaneous, selfless, gregarious.

Buddy, your sudden passing still haunts me. So many times I hear boys in the hallways, and I swear you are laughing. So many times I see a mop of curly locks, and I am reminded of we were robbed of you too quickly. You left many hearts broken, my 10th grade son.

Too sudden, my friend. Too sudden.

No comments: