Saturday, June 16, 2012

Margaret Thatcher is a Libra

One of the perks of my job is that I work down the hall from Andrew, a wonderful, intelligent, personable man whose expertise (besides meteorology) is astronomy. I turn to him for quick consultations on the stars and planets, of which I have long been fascinated in since I was a child. My alma mater had a tremendous planetarium that become a victim of budget cuts and needed classroom space.

However, my current district remains invested in the study of space, and so I have the honor of stopping in to Andrew's domed room a few times a week to look up at Ursa Major, should I so choose. I call him Mr. Astronomy. He calls me Ms. Journalism.

The funny thing, however, is that I sometimes confuse the word "astronomy" with "astrology," a science to which I don't necessarily subscribe. And on more than one occasion, I have referred to him as Mr. Astrology.

He doesn't like it.

And I can easily see why.

But like my mother, I have often talked about how people born on the same birthdate (or under the same sign) bear similar qualities that we may not necessarily see in someone else.

And so the fact is that my mother, born October 26, sees parallels between herself and Hilary Clinton, also a Oct. 26 birthday. Both are strong willed, independent, fighters who never have feared going toe-to-toe with someone for standing up for social justice and equality. The fact that my mother has met Clinton twice probably solidifies her admiration for the Democrat leader even more.

Well, this week I watched Iron Lady, the Meryl Streep film that documents that rise of Margaret Thatcher, Britain's only prime minister who faced critics not only from her opposing parties, but from those within her ranks. I am hardly saying that I can draw any legitimate comparison to a woman who went to Oxford and rose through the ranks of the Conservative party, often to champion public schools, but I can truly relate to the conflicts and criticisms brought on by others.

I've dealt with too many condescending folks who questioned my ability to go to college, to be a successful writer, to push myself to limits that not many have taken.

Margaret Thatcher is a Libran.

According to one website, "a Libran female is total woman, complete with the charming manners and delightful elegance. She can also argue with the convincing male logic and beat you at any argument. However, the male side may come in front of you after sometime. Debate attracts her and she weighs both sides of the situation with total fairness. A Libra girl may start an argument alone and finish it alone, with your contribution being only some occasional comments. While she is arguing with you, she may smile every now and then.

Before you know it, you will feel captivated by her smile and charm. By this time, she would have won the argument as well as your heart. Of course, you won't mind that, since she convinces with such carefully balanced and logical arguments. A typical Libran female characteristics profile includes a constant need to be fair and balanced. The best part is that she presents her case in such a tactful way that you don't feel offended at all. At the same time, she is not stubborn and easily changes her mind if she finds your arguments more logical and convincing."

Yes, Thatcher is a Libran. And so am I. And so the Iron Lady and the Ironman share one more thread: Oct. 13.

No comments: